Jess

Jun 6, 2020
Today 3:26 AM

The world has changed and probably won't return to the previous "normal" for a long time, if ever.

I was just reading an article about the test and trace programme, and how it could be in place for 2 years and anytime you come into contact with someone with COVID you’ve to isolate for 14 days. How on earth is any of that “doable”

View attachment 39

Dylan

Jun 6, 2020

The UK death toll has passed 100,000 after 1,631 deaths were reported today.

The UK has the highest death rate in the world and the fifth highest total number of deaths.

Comment

Gemma

Jun 4, 2020

100,000 deaths is a terrible figure and they are saying there could be a further 50,000 before this ends.

I don't think now is the right time for other political parties to be attacking the government on how they have tackled the pandemic though - there were always going to be mistakes and there have been but any investigations and finger-pointing should be left until a later time. This should not be politicized!

Comment

Max Taxable

Jan 23, 2021
Yesterday 9:26 PM

I don't think now is the right time for other political parties to be attacking the government on how they have tackled the pandemic though - there were always going to be mistakes and there have been but any investigations and finger-pointing should be left until a later time. This should not be politicized!
While I definitely agree with your sentiment, The region where I live leads the US in vaccination percentage - a whopping 12 percent! Scary that such a small percentage can lead the entire country. However I understand that right now we're only vaccinating those who are known to be more vulnerable - people over 65 or those under 65 but have a chronic medical condition that makes them more vulnerable. I have to wait until the general rollout for all before I can get my shot.

Myself, my people and my animals have been doing great though, really glad I live out in the wide open prairie. Nearest neighbor is 5 miles away, I have everything I need be it water, food, freezers are all full of meat and veggies, me and my lady just enjoying life without fear of covid or anything else, watching this Llano Estacado sunset every night off the back porch while grillin up some fish, chicken and/or beef. I'm just livin' the dream.

mysunset.jpg

But yeah I really hate the pandemic. I worry about other folks and how they're coping. Have been donating a lot to the local food bank and the homeless shelters and other charities that are stressed. But definitely been staying out of town too as much as possible. Thankfully there's a beer barn within 10 miles so I can pick up my suds without even getting outta the truck. Feet in the sand, beer in hand!

Comment

Jess

Jun 6, 2020

Looking at the current trend for new infections, if this remains consistent we should be at a low level of new infections in around 4-5 weeks time ie 50 a day or less so possibly, fingers-crossed, out of lockdown around the middle of March?

2 Comments
Gemma
Gemma commented
Every weekend you read about 300 people gathering at X; 400 people at an illegal rave in Y; 150 people at a wedding in Z etc - as long as people remain ignorant and selfish then I imagine they will keep the restrictions in place or tighten them (if possible).

Legion
Legion commented
Maybe some restrictions will be eased but nothing significant - schools maybe and some hospitiality/retail?

Mendalla

Aug 29, 2020
Yesterday 10:26 PM

those under 65 but have a chronic medical condition that makes them more vulnerable
At least you're targetting those. I am technically in that group (type II diabetic but controlled) and there's still no sign of when we will come up in Ontario. This country is struggling to get enough doses just for longterm care residents and healthcare workers at the moment.

The lockdown here in Ontario seems to be working. Numbers, including positivity rate, are declining. My local health unit has come down significantly in the last week or two, which is nice. Current government orders expire on, IIRC, February 9 so they will have to make a decision about extending them in about a week.

Comment

Gemma

Jun 4, 2020

The highest level of lockdown in Scotland to continue until the end of February (apart from some changes to schools and early years). The Scottish Government says "We may be able to begin looking to a careful and gradual easing (of lockdown) around the start of March"

Comment

Legion

Jan 5, 2021

The highest level of lockdown in Scotland to continue until the end of February (apart from some changes to schools and early years). The Scottish Government says "We may be able to begin looking to a careful and gradual easing (of lockdown) around the start of March"

Not surprised by this to be honest. This new variant which is now mutating will probably extend things in March too.

Comment

Jess

Jun 6, 2020

12 million people in the UK have now had their first vaccine dose as a further 373 deaths are reported.

UK stats
Daily deaths: 373
Total deaths: 112,465
Daily cases: 15,845
Total cases: 3,945,680

Comment

EmmaDot

Jan 25, 2021

Schos in Scotland will start returning next week. It will be a phased return starting with those pupils in P1 to P3 and pre-school

The numbers continue to move in the right direction but the First Minister doesn't expect lockdown to end in March and will carry on into April.

Comment