4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Deathloop
Deathloop has the player in the role of Colt, an assassin that is stuck in a time loop, waking up on a beach at the island of Blackreef. Colt has been tasked to take out eight targets across the island before midnight, as even leaving one alive will cause the time loop to reset and undo his work. The player uses a combination of stealth, parkour and attack skills as in Arkane's previous Dishonored and Prey games to move about the game world, avoid or take out guards, and learn the patterns of Colt's targets to figure out the right order to eliminate these using guns, melee attacks, or other environmental means.

The game features a multiplayer aspect in which the player can alternatively take the role of Julianna, an agent tasked to protect the time loop and take out Colt. When the player takes this role, they will enter a random player's game and may interfere with their play. The multiplayer portion is optional and players can prevent others from taking on the role of Julianna in their game, instead leaving this to a computer-controlled opponent to try to stop Colt.
Players: 2
Co-op: No
Genre: Action, Shooter
Released:
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Trailer

Fanart
Game information provided by TheGamesDB

David76

7 Jun 2020
Today 11:47 PM

Last edited:

I'm having a blast and I can't wait to play more later on today, but I have to caution that this is a true "gamer's game". As in, it's not for casual players looking to turn their brains off after a day of work, and it’s certainly not for the impatient.

It's very, very, very complex. In fact, the previews undersold just how complex it is. I've read some comments from other early players and the general consensus is "difficult but fun". Personally, it's too early to comment on "difficulty" per se because I'm still in the "gathering clues/discovering new systems/working out where everything & everyone is" stage… after 6 hours. Now, tbf, I tend to take the piss in these types of games; it's a curse of being a completionist. Even so, the game has only just stopped giving me tutorials every 2 minutes but I suspect there's still more to come! That’s not an exaggeration at all - the first few hours is tutorial after tutorial after tutorial because there’s just so much to learn that it literally needs to teach you how to play the game for that long. But trust me, it does eventually click.

In previews, the journalists said the complexity is in figuring out how to kill the 8 visionaries (main targets) in a single loop and that is correct. However, that’s getting way ahead of ourselves because what they don't mention is that it will take you a long time before you can even get to a point where you’re planning how to kill them all at once. What I mean is, you need to kill them individually first in order to get the best abilities (and trinkets and weapons) as well as finding all the necessary clues before approaching the bigger picture, but you also need to acquire enough information just to get those clues! In other words, the puzzle obviously won’t make sense without all the pieces but acquiring all those individual pieces is a puzzle in itself. So far I haven’t even intentionally reset a loop to try something out - that’s still a long way out. I’m just trying to build my arsenal and gather as much information about my targets as possible.

Comment

Best

6 Jul 2020

Eurogamer Essential.
The Sixth Axis 10/10
IGN 10/10
Gamestop 10/10
Push Square 8/10
Playstation Universe 10/10
Destructoid 9/10
GameInformer 9/10

Currently, a 90 on Metacritic based on 40 reviews.

Insane reviews. Have to say it wasn't really on my radar but now it certainly is. Hyped!

Deathloop

Comment

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Anyone got this then?
Yeah I've played a few hours and I'm really enjoying it. You can choose to go all guns blazing or more stealthy if that's what you're into.

The banter between your character and Julianna is really good and there's a lot of humour throughout.

I haven't really played any of those games where you lose your gear when you have to replay a level etc so it's pretty fresh for me.

Another player can enter your game as Julianna and feck up your mission if you have that setting turned on. I decided to switch it off for a bit after I got killed just before completing my objective. The fecker. I'll prob switch it on later once I've gotten the hang of the game a bit more.

The 70s aesthetic is great and although it might not look groundbreaking it's still pretty slick.

The gunplay is satisfying although I'd have liked a bigger array of weapons. Maybe more types become available as you progress
All in all, it's pretty great. I figured it would be average given how heavily it was being advertised but it's been a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Son Of Jack

12 Jun 2020

Enjoying it so far, but too early to have much more of an opinion than "a more action-orientated Dishonoured".

The turrets seem delightfully overpowered? Just pop one up quietly behind a group of enemies and let the machine do the hard work for you.

Runs well on PS5 but had one nasty temporary lock up after leaving the apartment for the first time. Thought it was going to crash but it didn’t in the end. Thankfully survived the firefight it happened in the middle of!

Comment