Sweden10100001
Spain10100001
Poland100112-10

Group FPWDLGFGAGDPTS
Portugal110030+33
France110010+13
Germany100101-10
Hungary100103-30

This thread is for the general discussion of the event Euro 2020/21 Outright Winner. Please add to the discussion here.

Portugal vs Hungary New

Tom

6 Jun 2020
Today 7:03 AM

Hungary XI: Gulacsi; Fiola, Orban, At.Szalai; Lovrencsics, Kleinheisler, Nagy, Schafer, Botka; Sallai, Ad.Szalai.

Portugal XI: Patricio; Semedo, Dias, Pepe, Guerreiro; Danilo, Carvalho, Bruno Fernandes; B. Silva, Ronaldo, Jota.

I've never heard of any of these Hungarian players, a completely unknown quantity.

Portugal keeping faith with William Carvalho despite him not playing a lot of club football.

Important for Portugal to start off with a win. I think they will. I'll go for 2-0.

Gromit
Gromit commented
Hungary score but it is offside. He took that well though.

Gromit
Gromit commented
Portugal score via a deflection. Tough on Hungary but vital for Portugal.

Now Portugal have a penalty.

Terrible two minutes for Orban. His deflection, then he gives a penalty away.

2-0. Ronaldo with the penalty

Legion
Legion commented
3-0 is tough on Hungary but the better team won. Love him or loathe him Ronaldo knows how to score goals.

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Portugal have set themselves up well for the rest of the group. Pressure on the others now.

Teams for the evening game:

France XI: Lloris; Pavard, Varane, Kimpembe, Hernandez; Pogba, Kante, Rabiot; Griezmann; Mbappe, Benzema.

Germany XI: Neuer; Ginter, Hummels, Rudiger; Kimmich, Kroos, Gundogan, Gosens; Havertz, Muller, Gnabry.

Benzema fit to start up top. Pleased to see Gosens picked as he deserves a chance.

Really excited for this game. When I did that UEFA tournament predictor thingy I had these two teams meeting in the final.

I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

C
Crabtree commented
Another French goal disallowed for offside. That was tight!

Fraser
Fraser commented
Varane was brilliant, France winning without any of the front three having a great game so they will be happy enough.

Germany will give anyone a game in this tournament

Spikey
Spikey commented
Yeah Varane MOTM or me. Was excellent.

French midfield disappeared second half. Couldn't get control of the ball and kept losing it when they did. Germany played well but no cutting edge - Harvetz awful and no subs to make a difference. France just kept them at arms length and just relied on hitting Mbappe long.

Spikey

15 Feb 2021

Every team has played one match now. Hard to call a winner going from Round 1

France, Belgium, England and Italy were quite impressive. Portugal took there time but can be great when they hit the ground running.

1 Comment
Welshy
Welshy commented
Too early to call really. With 4 third place teams also qualifying there will still be plenty of teams that will feel they have a chance of winning it although the path through the rounds may be more difficult in some cases.

Finland vs Russia New

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Finland XI: Hradecky; Toivio, Arajuuri, O'Shaughnessy; Raitala, Schuller, Kamara, Uronen; Lod; Pohjanpalo, Pukki.

Russia XI: Safonov; Fernandes, Diveev, Dzhikiya, Kuzyayev; Zobnin, Barinov, Ozdoyev; Miranchuk, Dzyuba, Golovin.

Change of keeper for Russia. Pleased to see Safonov get a chance as he did well in the Champions League with Krasnodar. Shunin looked dodgy in the last game. Miranchuk also starts.

Finland through with a win but think Russia will have a response after the Belgium loss, plus they have home advantage. I'll go Russia to win by a goal.

3 Comments
C
Crabtree commented
The Russian defence are shocking, there is definitely a goal or two for Finland in this.

Dylan
Dylan commented
This hasn't been a good game. Kinda like I expected. Russia look like they are going to get the win though they haven't been impressive. It will make the last round of game meaningful though I guess.

Welshy
Welshy commented
First game I haven't watched. It doesn't look like I missed anything.

Turkey vs Wales New

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Turkey XI: Cakir; Zeki Celik, Ayhan, Soyuncu, Meras; Yokuslu, Ozan Tufan; Karaman, Calhanoglu, Under; Yilmaz.

Wales XI: Ward; Roberts, Mepham, Rodon, Davies; Morrell, Allen; Bale, Ramsey, James; Moore.

Thought Turkey might make more changes. Looks like Under for Yazici is the only one.

Expecting a response from them today. I'll say 2-1.

Welshy
Welshy commented
Ben Davies lucky he didn't receive a red card there.

Welshy
Welshy commented
Wales score again and it is all over. Connor Roberts with the second.

That should be good enough to qualify for the last 16

Tom
Tom commented
Well deserved. That's Wales into the last 16 barring something insane happening.

Italy vs Switzerland New

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Teams for the evening game

Italy XI: Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Spinazzola; Barella, Jorginho, Locatelli; Berardi, Immobile, Insigne.

Switzerland XI: Sommer; Elvedi, Schar, Akanji; Mbabu, Freuler, Xhaka, Rodriguez; Shaqiri; Seferovic, Embolo.

The Swiss are usually competitive so this could be a good test. I'll go Italy to win a goal.

Tom
Tom commented
Super goal..really liking this Italy side

Bandit
Bandit commented
Locatelli's gonna get a big move off the back of this campaign. Two fabulous performances so far.

Tom
Tom commented
Immobile gets his goal.

Ukraine vs North Macedonia New

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Ukraine XI: Bushchan; Karavayev, Zabarnyi, Matviyenko, Mykolenko; Shaparenko, Stepanenko, Zinchenko; Yarmolenko, Yaremchuk, Malinovskiy.

North Macedonia XI: Dimitrievski; S. Ristovski, Velkovski, Musliu; Nikolov, Ademi, Spirovski, Alioski; Bardhi; Pandev, Elmas.

This could be a decent game. Both were involved on the losing side of entertaining games and both need to go for it. I'll say Ukraine to edge it.

2 Comments
C
Crabtree commented
Ukraine have bossed this game. Looking comfortable, leading 2-0, at half time.

Legion
Legion commented
North Macedonia have scored. Game on.

Denmark vs Belgium New

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Denmark XI: Schmeichel; Wass, Christensen, Kjaer, Vestergaard, Maehle; Damsgaard, Hojbjerg, Delaney; Poulsen, Braithwaite.

Belgium XI: Courtois; Alderweireld, Denayer, Vertonghen; Meunier, Dendoncker, Tielemans, T. Hazard; Mertens, Carrasco; Lukaku.

Denayer comes in for Boyata in defence. Didn't think he had a good season with Lyon so would be concerned about him today.

It will be interesting to see how Denmark get on. I'll go for a draw.

B
Boot Cleaner commented
Can’t see Belgium winning the Euros if they struggle with an occasion like today.

Bandit
Bandit commented
Stating blindingly obvious but De Bruyne and Hazard operating at near capacity will be critical to how Belgium will do in competition

Legion
Legion commented
Belgium get the win but Denmark can still qualify if they hammer Russia.

Wasn't that impressed with Belgium at all. Beat a crap Russia and rode their luck in this one.

Netherlands vs Austria New

Tom

6 Jun 2020

Netherlands XI: Stekelenberg; De Ligt, De Vrij, Blind; Dumfries, de Roon, de Jong, van Aanholt; Wijnaldum; Weghorst, Depay.

Austria XI: Bachmann; Dragovic, Alaba, Hinteregger; Schalger; Lainer, Ulmer, Laimer, Sabitzer; Gregoritsch, Baumgartner.

De Ligt back for the Dutch. I'll go the Dutch to win by a goal.

Welshy
Welshy commented
Shocking miss by Depay! Bloody hell!

The Netherlands might regret all these squandered chances

Bandit
Bandit commented
Alaba needs to get up the field. The deepest Austrian player. What a waste.

Tom
Tom commented
2-0. That should be the game. Nice ball by Depay in the build up.

David76

7 Jun 2020

Has anything been followed up on Rüdiger biting/nibbling Pogba?

C
Crabtree commented
Sweden penalty. Isak again involved.

Forsberg scores.

Tom
Tom commented
Not a great game but it improved a little in the second half.

Welshy
Welshy commented
Beauty from Perisic. A draw here would suit Scotland (I think)?