Dylan

6 Jun 2020
Today 4:20 AM

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Formula 1: Drive to Survive

Genre: Documentary

First aired: 2019-03-08

Cast: Lewis Hamilton, Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz Jr., Valtteri Bottas, Charles Leclerc, Pierre Gasly, Kevin Magnussen, Sebastian Vettel, Romain Grosjean, Nico Hülkenberg, Alexander Albon, Robert Kubica, George Russell, Lando Norris

Overview: Drivers, managers and team owners live life in the fast lane -- both on and off the track -- during one cutthroat season of Formula 1 racing.

David76

7 Jun 2020

Full trailer for Drive to Survive Season 3has been released.
It is available now, released on Friday.

I'll watch one a night for the next week I reckon.

I mean, I watched the 2020 season - it wasn't that exciting. So I know that they'll be pushing the ACTION a bit.

I do like seeing the characters "behind the music" style though.

Comment

Dylan

6 Jun 2020

Watched 6 or 7 episodes of it yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot, on par with the other seasons. I don’t like the fake commentary as exposition and the way they jump around the season rather than stay more chronological. A few highlights

- Cyril getting the hump with Danny Ric after deciding to join McLaren. Didn’t realise they weren’t even on speaking terms.
- Vettel not giving a shit about the Ferrari PR machine
- The pressure on Albon and Gasly’s hope of getting promoted back to RB
- The pressure on Gunther Steiner by Gene Haas to bring in Schumacher & Mazepin for sponsorship money

Comment

Fraser

15 Jun 2020

Formula 1: Drive to Survive
Man On Fire
Season: 3
Episode: 9
Air date: 2021-03-19

Over the course of two drama-filled races, drivers with uncertain futures vie to hold on to their F1 seats. A horrifying crash shocks everyone.

Episode 9 focusing on Grosjean and Perez is superb, such an emotionally charged, great piece of TV

Comment

Spikey

15 Feb 2021

We're up to Episode 6 of Drive to Survive.

A couple of thoughts...
- It is as entertaining as prior seasons.
- It's very interesting to see the behind the scenes of the drives, in particular Spoiler: Valterri - even if we see a bit too much of him!
- The editing can be jarring for a fan who pays attention to F1. For example, they show the Spoiler: Austrian / Styrian GP and the Racing Points & Renault fighting, then they cut to a clip of Spoiler: Cyril in Silverstone (!) saying how much he hates the pink cars and back to Spoiler: he Red Bull Ring. There are also instances where they show us racing, then cut to the pit wall which have totally different track maps behind them.
- Describing Alain Prost as a special advisor, lol!
- The choice editing rears its head again with Spoiler: the cut to Toto leaving the track, implying he didn't celebrate the win with Bottas.
- Mixed up radio messages again can damped one's enjoyment. They wasted Spoiler: Noris' scenario 7 on testing!
- An entire episode dedicated to testing?! Hm. From what I've read elsewhere, we're not getting an episode on Spoiler: Turkey or George's run in the Merc

There are a bunch of other flaws to point out. To an extent, they don't matter (e.g. in the Spoiler: Gasly episode, they show Charles' crash, then show the safety car and all of a sudden it's a red flag - no mention to MAG's stoppage. Now, that doesn't impact the story or narrative materially. But then you have instances such as Spoiler: Cyril and Toto mentioned where they are CLEARLY trying to paint a narrative and bending the reality quite a bit.

Comment