Franco Pinion

Jun 8, 2020
Today 5:08 PM

Now that F1 2020 is officially over, why not have a new 2021 thread?

Yuki Tsunoda has been confirmed at Alpha Tauri for the new season, replacing Danii Kyvat

So the only seat we are now waiting on confirmation for is Red Bull. Will Albon keep his seat or will Perez get it?

Mercedes - Hamilton and Bottas
Red Bull - Verstappen and Albon/Perez
McLaren - Norris and Ricciardo
Aston Martin - Stroll and Vettel
Renault - Alonso and Ocon
Ferrari - Leclerc and Sainz
Alpha Tauri - Gasly and Tsunoda
Haas - Schumacher and Mazepin
Alfa Romeo - Raikkonen and Giovinazzi
Williams - Russel and Latifi

Formula 1's governing body the FIA has confirmed the calendar for the longest season in history next year. There will be 23 grands prix held, starting in Australia on 21 March and ending in Abu Dhabi on 6 December.

The date previously allocated for the Vietnamese GP, 25 April, is still empty, pending a host country being found.

2021 Formula 1 calendar​

21 March Australia (Melbourne)
28 March Bahrain (Sakhir)
11 April China (Shanghai)
25 April TBC
9 May Spain (Barcelona)
23 May Monaco
6 June Azerbaijan (Baku)
13 June Canada (Montreal)
27 June France (Le Castellet)
4 July Austria (Spielberg)
18 July Britain (Silverstone)
1 August Hungary (Hungaroring)
29 August Belgium (Spa)
5 September Netherlands (Zandvoort)
12 September Italy (Monza)
26 September Russia (Sochi)
3 October Singapore (Marina Bay)
10 October Japan (Suzuka)
24 October USA (Austin)
31 October Mexico (Mexico City)
14 November Brazil (Sao Paulo)
28 November Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)
5 December Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Fraser

Jun 15, 2020

Official now, finally. Sergio Perez will partner Max Verstappen at Red Bull in 2021!!

It’s the right decision by Red Bull. Mark this comment for 6 months time so you can say I’m an idiot but I’m confident it’ll work out. Red Bull in 2019, 2020 and presumably in 2021 have a very loose car that is difficult to drive. Just look at the inputs made in mid speed corners by the drivers. It makes the car fast but very nervous which results in tyre wear from corrections. Hopefully Perez can adapt his style to exploit the most out of the car. Red Bull will be happy if he finishes behind Max every race but they need their drivers close enough to the Mercedes to force a split strategy with someone there to capitalise. Mercedes have had it too easy this year

Comment

Franco Pinion

Jun 8, 2020

Perez is literally the perfect driver to have alongside Max. Mr consistent with his tyres, will keep Max honest whilst bringing in some sponsorship money and helping apply the pressure on Mercedes. It's a virtual no-risk move by Red Bull. Correct decision made.

It's certainly not all over for Albon in F1, only have to look at Gasly for that example, but it's going to be a lot tougher for him for sure.

Comment

Tom

Jun 6, 2020

I'm happy for Perez, looking forward to see how he performs along Max. Considering how he was shafted by the team early in the sason to finish the year with his first race win and a Red Bull seat for 2021 it turned out quite well for him

Comment

Snoops

Jul 16, 2020

I saw the news about Perez on twitter. I'm happy for them in that he has a seat for 2021 onwards. Both Verstappen and Perez could become a very competitive pair of drivers when going up against the other teams on the track. They have great ability and potential to do very well with winning races within this new partnership.

For Albon though it's very unfortunate to hear that he lost his seat to Perez. The consequences of his performance with Red Bull has now been brought to reality.

Comment

Son Of Jack

Jun 12, 2020

My main thoughts on 2021:
  • Perez should be a good improvement on Albon for Red Bull
  • I think Ricciardo will be a step up on Sainz at McLaren next season. He should finish well ahead of Norris in my opinion.
  • Sainz will be a step up on Vettel so it's a win for both McLaren and Ferrari.
  • Renault will probably have same level of drivers as last year assuming Alonso's has still got it.
  • Racing Point could be the biggest losers if Vettel doesn't perform.
  • Alfa and Alpha will probably be around the same level again next season.
  • Haas has nothing to lose on hiring two new rookies. They are similar to Williams in that no driver in the world is going to bring them up the grid with a car like that.
Meanwhile, at Mercedes, Wolff has committed to another three years which is bad news for the rest of Formula 1. Mercedes now only have a third share in the company so it looks like they are slowly divesting their interest in being a racing team and going back to being an engine supplier. This is not surprising as the writing has been on the wall since they signed up McLaren as their fourth engine customer. I can see Mercedes selling off their remaining share in the next couple of years.

Comment

Welshy

Jul 9, 2020

There are a lot of season review podcasts and it’s interesting to see they all reference the new or returning tracks. They all hope the new racks can be included in the calendar lile Mugello, Portimao, Imola and Turkey.

I think there’s no real chance that they will be retained. Some tracks just don’t have facilities for all the number of fans necessary to make a race viable. The fact is that tracks aren’t chosen because they’re good racetracks or make good races. They’re chosen because they pay the fee.

Comment

Best

Jul 6, 2020

I think McLaren are going to be a bit of a thorn in the side of Mercedes and Red Bull this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a couple of wins with the Mercedes engine in the back now.

Comment