David76

7 Jun 2020
Today 5:13 AM

I've just finished watching "Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band".

A lovely reminder of times gone by and the wonderful music made by these talented people. Some great archive footage shows how good they were and lots of famous people pop by to have their say on the influence The Band had on their careers and lives. Shame that things ended the way they did but sometimes these things happen. As this is based on Robertson's memoir it's definitely slanted in his favour and with 3 of the 5 no longer with us we're unlikely to get another view then I'll take whatever I can get. Might have to dig out the dvd of The Last Waltz for tomorrow night now too.

Comment

Dylan

6 Jun 2020

Hitler's Circle of Evil is very good. Basically telling the story of the rise of the Nazi party after WW1 to the end of WW2 and focusing on Hess, Goebbels, Himmler, Goring, Heydrich, Speer and Bormann. Very informative for anyone with any interest in history.

Comment

David76

7 Jun 2020

Another one tonight.

Erebus: Into the Unknown (On Amazon Prime)

Story about the 1979 Air NZ plane crash on antartica where 257 people were killed. Not your typical plane crash investigation documentary/film. Focuses mainly on 11 NZ policemen (plus others), who were sent out there (with little or no training) to recover the bodies, plus a bit about the cover up by Air NZ.

Found it interesting, especially the human aspect of recovering bodies in such an inhospitable climate.

Comment

Mendalla

29 Aug 2020
Today 12:13 AM

It's been a while so I am not sure if Netflix still has it, but Werner Herzog's Into the Inferno, about volcanoes, is terrific. While I first encountered Herzog in his heyday as a director of feature films (seventies and eighties), he has mostly been doing documentaries of late.

Comment

David76

7 Jun 2020

My Octopus Teacher

I found this fascinating. I was in to marine biology and diving as a kid, although never got beyond a face mask and snorkel on holiday. This guy's approach to diving and interacting with the enviroment...no wet suit, no equipment, because it's only getting in the way of him being a living creature amongst other creatures. What an incredible life, and what an amazing diver.

1 Comment
Gemma
Gemma commented
I like the look of this, added it to my watchlist.