Total events
Total discussions
Total views
Total albums

Scottish Islands - General Discussion

David76

7 Jun 2020
Today 11:19 PM

One of the perks of my job is that I get to go to the islands.

What Scottish islands have you been to?

Which ones did you like and why? Are there any you never wish to set foot on again? If so, why?

Sad Professor

13 Jun 2020

The beach at Ettrick Bay and Port Bannatyne are very good places to kick around on Bute when the weather is nice.

Rothesay has enough pubs, the castle and the all-important boat out to make it a bearable visit. The West Island Way is worth doing as well.

I've only been to Bute, Arran, Cumbrae and Skye.

Comment

David76

7 Jun 2020

I'm a regular visitor to Skye and never tire of the scenery and dramatic skies. Elgol has already been mentioned and to me, it's the best corner on the island.

However, my favourite island I've visited so far and will take some beating is Staffa. Lucky enough to have visited twice when the weather has been great and the second time the sea conditions allowed the skipper to sail into Fingal's Cave.
Rothesay has enough pubs, the castle and the all-important boat out to make it a bearable visit. The West Island Way is worth doing as well.
Just Googled The West Island Way. Haven't even heard of it before. Looks decent to be fair. Might give that a bash in stages (unless it's a non-work visit) next time I'm over on Bute and avoid the dump that is Rothesay.

Comment

David76

7 Jun 2020

Nice pic. Where did you stay?
Just in Port Charlotte in an Air BnB. Spent a week there after being up in Arduaine for a few days, went over to Mull and Staffa from there. Wish we'd booked to stay over in Iona rather than trek back across Mull for the last ferry.

Attachments

• 171012812_FingalsCave.jpg.08dee9501bf796a799afc97c1ecf1d4e.jpg
    171012812_FingalsCave.jpg.08dee9501bf796a799afc97c1ecf1d4e.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 1
  • Puffin.jpg.310adbdd7cdfadf3f82611b39dce628b.jpg
    Puffin.jpg.310adbdd7cdfadf3f82611b39dce628b.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
Comment

Dylan

6 Jun 2020

Has anyone been to the Isle Of Rum? I’m there from Wednesday to Monday. Is there anywhere to eat like a restaurant or bar? I know there’s a post office which has food but would be good to be prepared before I go. Planning to wild camp half of the trip.

Comment

David76

7 Jun 2020

Has anyone been to the Isle Of Rum? I’m there from Wednesday to Monday. Is there anywhere to eat like a restaurant or bar? I know there’s a post office which has food but would be good to be prepared before I go. Planning to wild camp half of the trip.
A few years ago, there's not a lot on the island at all. Kim's Kitchen at the village hall used to do food, unsure if that's still the case.

I don't want to put you off but, 5/6 days on Rum could potentially be a bit long. Probably see the whole island in a couple of days.

Comment