This Week I'm Mostly Reading General Chat 

The Werewolf of Paris (1933) by Guy Endore. It is set in 19th Century France and tells the story of a man cursed to lycanthropy and his family. It is actually as much a social melodrama as a horror story, though the horror mounts as the story moves along. Hammer fans may know it as the basis for Curse of the Werewolf, which featured Oliver Reed as the werewolf, though it moved the setting to Spain.

Comment

Mendalla

Aug 29, 2020
Yesterday 8:51 PM

Anybody read about Genghis Khan? Any recommendations?
I would be wary of reinterpretation and modification by non-native prisms when it comes to this particular subject.

"The Secret History of the Mongols" is the only surviving historical record by the Mongols themselves (initially composed just a few decades after Temüjin's death and passed down phonetically through the centuries), so maybe check out the shortened open-source transcription by Igor de Rachewiltz (not Urgunge Onon as that's a bit more embellished), and if that sufficiently piques your interest you can acquire the two/three-volume set.

Comment

Ray Gin

Sep 30, 2020
Today 1:51 AM

I would be wary of reinterpretation and modification by non-native prisms when it comes to this particular subject.

"The Secret History of the Mongols" is the only surviving historical record by the Mongols themselves (initially composed just a few decades after Temüjin's death and passed down phonetically through the centuries), so maybe check out the shortened open-source transcription by Igor de Rachewiltz (not Urgunge Onon as that's a bit more embellished), and if that sufficiently piques your interest you can acquire the two/three-volume set.
Thanks a lot, I'll check that out.

Comment

Tom

Jun 6, 2020

Just finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. A delight from start to finish, I didn't want it to end.

Next up: The Rise of Endymion, the final novel of Dan Simmons's Hyperion Cantos. Top drawer science fiction.

Comment

Best

Jul 6, 2020

Just finished reading Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem.

Given that it was released in 1990 and the significant advances that have been made between then and now with forensic science, quite a bit is outdated. It took a while for me to get into it but all in all, it was quite enjoyable.

The plot centres around chief medical examiner Dr Kay Scarpetta who is thrown into the midst of a serial killer that breaks into the houses of single women and proceeds to rape and torture them before murdering them. Not only does Dr Scarpetta have to deal with the pressure of trying to catch this guy as the body count rises, but she must also try to protect herself as someone with a personal vendetta against her is trying to end her career.

Comment

Janey

Jun 8, 2020

The plot centres around chief medical examiner Dr Kay Scarpetta who is thrown into the midst of a serial killer that breaks into the houses of single women and proceeds to rape and torture them before murdering them. Not only does Dr Scarpetta have to deal with the pressure of trying to catch this guy as the body count rises, but she must also try to protect herself as someone with a personal vendetta against her is trying to end her career.
Absolutely LOVE the early Kay Scarpetta books! I still dig them out every few years.

Personally, I think they start deteriorating from around The Last Precinct onwards, the last couple I tried I found practically unreadable. But the earlier ones are just great!

Comment

Gemma

Jun 4, 2020

Finally got around to starting The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I had seen the movies when they came out and had promised myself that I would one day read the book.
You are in for a treat, I hope. I consider The Hobbit my favorite Tolkien, even over Lord of the Rings. Probably first read it in the late 70s around the time the Rankin Bass animated adaptation came out.

Comment

Mendalla

Aug 29, 2020
Yesterday 8:51 PM