Gemma

Jun 4, 2020
Today 9:50 AM

What books are you currently reading?

I've just finished John Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath. Great book, don't really know why it has taken me so long to read it.

David76

Jun 7, 2020

About half way through "Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland". A really fascinating read, focusing on the roles of Dolours Price, Brendan Hughes and Gerry Adams during the Troubles.

Comment

hannah

Jul 5, 2020

Half way through a Man called Ove by Frederick Backman. I really wasn't prepared for how heartbreaking this book is in places.
This is such a wonderful book - heartbreaking and heartwarming in equal measure, and also quite funny in parts. His new book Anxious People is also excellent - as is Beartown but that comes with a trigger warning.

Finished Madeline Miller's Song of Achilles. An immensely enjoyable book.

Comment

Soffie

Aug 3, 2020

Finished Brit Bennett's The Vanishing Half. It's a highly enjoyable read. Twin girls born in a fictional Louisiana town where the population is "cream". The twins take polar opposite paths through life. Highly recommended.

Comment

Welshy

Jul 9, 2020

The Stand - Stephen King.

The missus got me a Kindle for Christmas. Surprisingly enjoyable to read on.

I've read a few Stephen King novels, mostly enjoyed them, so thought I'd give this a go!
I've just started reading it and it's not what I expected. The first 20-25% of the book was SO BORING but I pushed through because I knew it was going to get good at some stage. After all, it has been hyped as being among his greatest ever works. I'm about halfway through and while it's definitely improving I'm still not entirely sure if I'm enjoying it. Slowburner.

Comment

Legion

Jan 5, 2021

Just started Hobo by Eddy Joe Cotton

"On a cold, grey day in 1991, a young man named Eddy Joe Cotton (aka Zebu Recchia) left home with nothing but a warm jacket, some well-worn boots, and a few crumpled dollar bills. His father had just fired him, not for the first time, but for the last. He didn’t see his father again for two years. But this is not the story of a runaway - it is a tale of an unorthodox road to adulthood. By taking to the trains, Eddy Joe Cotton learned the difficulty of life lived on the margins, the fading importance of a once-celebrated American folk hero, and the ultimate meaning of freedom."

Comment

Jess

Jun 6, 2020

Last week I finished The Vampire Lestat. I read Interview with the Vampire but found it a bit tiresome in places and found the same problem with Lestat. It must be Anne Rice and her writing style or something, but I have Queen of the Damned on my shelf but can't bring myself to pick it up.

I've just finished Darthly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. It's the first book in the series and it was what the TV show Dexter was based on. I thought it was brilliant. I wish I hadn't already seen the series, but there's enough differences that I just went on amazon and bought book 2.

Comment

Mendalla

Aug 29, 2020
Today 4:50 AM

Last week I finished The Vampire Lestat. I read Interview with the Vampire but found it a bit tiresome in places and found the same problem with Lestat. It must be Anne Rice and her writing style or something, but I have Queen of the Damned on my shelf but can't bring myself to pick it up.
I read them back in the eighties as they were coming out and I would say that if you weren't satisfied by The Vampire Lestat, which is the best of the series IMHO, then you are probably wise to stop there. Queen has more action but also gets highly bizarre. I finally gave up with Memnoch the Devil (fifth book). And largely gave up on Rice after The Witching Hour (which is a pretty good novel itself but I was getting tired of her approach).

Not doing much reading right now, just the odd short here and there.

Comment

Sazzy

Feb 4, 2021

George RR Martin's "Fevre Dream". His take on the vampire myth. I had never heard of it but I saw it somewhere listed as one of the best vampire novels. It's a page turner with his typical plot twists and big dinner tables

Comment