Gemma

Jun 4, 2020
Today 12:11 PM

What books are you currently reading?

I've just finished John Steinbeck's The Grapes Of Wrath. Great book, don't really know why it has taken me so long to read it.

Janey

Jun 8, 2020

I'm reading The Silmarillion for the second time (I read it years ago) . I going over Tolkein's books again but this time I'm doing The Silmarillion first, then The Hobbit, and then Lord of the Rings.

Comment

Kirsty

Jan 25, 2021

About 2/3 of the way through Where The Crawdads Sing, and it's okay, but I'm not loving it. Started well, and has picked up a bit again but I got quite bored in the middle.

1 Comment
Gemma
Gemma commented
I remember it dragging a bit in the middle too, it definitely gets better towards the end :)

Gemma

Jun 4, 2020

The Nothing Man by Catherine Ryan Howard, a chilling story told in two strands. The first is by a serial rapist/killer and the second by the sole survivor of his killing spree. Brilliantly executed story but it's enough to keep you awake at night listening for strange sounds. Recommended for those who like a good crime/psychological thriller.

Comment

Soffie

Aug 3, 2020

I have ust finished Crime & Punishment, Pedro Páramo

Crime & Punishment is a simple story but it's told in such a tense and disconcerting way that it has definitely whet my appetite for more Russian classics, although I know Anna Karenina and War & Peace will be different prospects entirely.

1 Comment
Janey
Janey commented
I love Russian epics but Anna Karenina was just too much. It was one of those books I just couldn't wait for it to end. It wasn't bad but I was left frustrated at the end. Granted, I read it about ten years ago so a re-read might not be a bad idea.

Janey

Jun 8, 2020

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb.

It's about a brother who is coping with life with a twin with mental health issues. It has 897 pages and the print is small! Nearly finished and it's a great read.

I've the tv show with Mark Ruffalo downloaded from Sky Atlantic so I'll watch after I'm done reading!

Comment

Cherub

Jun 6, 2020

Read Stephen Kings latest "Later".

If you are an early King fan I’d say you’d love it. A very short novel for him at 250 pages but I thought it was the perfect form.

He may now be in his 70s but he still has his moments.

Comment

8-Ball

Aug 4, 2020

Not read but listened to Mythos by Stephen Fry.

I have almost no knowledge of Greek gods, and the myths of their existence and deeds. This wonderful, entertaining and informative book has filled in so many gaps for me, and in a style which I found hugely enjoyable.

Comment

Spikey

Feb 15, 2021

I'm reading "Armageddon" by Max Hastings which focuses on the fight against Germany during the last year of WW2. I find it crazy that Germany didn't surrender earlier and it's hard to fathom the needless loss of life. The war was pretty much over for Germany after the battle for Normandy given they didn't have much of an airforce left and the Russians were stampeding through Eastern Europe.

Comment