This Week I'm Mostly Reading General Chat 

Started reading Man's Search for Meaning the other day. Seems quite ridiculous to say, but god the holocaust is a grim read. But still, a very interesting book.
I was quite impressed by it when I read it maybe 22 years ago for a church book club. Have not revisited it but my wife is right now. The way he draws his ideas about the importance of finding and having meaning out of such a harrowing experience is really where the book's power lies.

Comment

Mendalla

Aug 29, 2020
Today 2:45 AM

Finished John Boyne's A Traveller at the Gates of Wisdom. A bit underwhelmed by it. It's quite confusing for the first few chapters and then the story keeps repeating through the years while referencing many major historic events but is slow.

Comment

Cherub

Jun 6, 2020
Today 7:45 AM

Robert Harris - Dictator

The last book in a trilogy about Cicero. I really enjoyed it, and I think everyone who likes historical novels will too. Never read a bad novel by Harris. Pretty easy to read, without feeling too simple.

Comment

Tom

Jun 6, 2020

Just finished A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. About politically sponsored gang violence and CIA involvement in 70s Jamaica, including the attempted assassination of Bob Marley. The gangs spread from there into the crack cocaine wars in USA in the 80s and early 90s

Tremendous stuff and a lot of it I had no idea about beforehand

Comment

Ray Gin

Sep 30, 2020

I have just finished The Searcher by Tana French.

I am a big fan of this writer, but I found this book deeply unsatisfying.

The plot resolution is disappointing. French's novels often have a sense of tragic loss, but they usually also have some sort of acceptable closure. This one does not.

Comment

Gemma

Jun 4, 2020